How to Write a News Release
Writing a news release can be fun rather than intimidating
You have the list of ways to improve your news releases and if you click News Release Template you can see how you should structure the news release.
6 Tips For A Better News Release
- Keep it short and sweet. No more than 300 words. In fact, try to keep it close to 250-275 on the word count.
- Omit the obligatory Company XYZ is the best company in the whole wide world opening statement. You want your story covered not to win a beauty pageant.
- Have someone who is good at catching grammar and typographical errors proofread it.
- Don’t send photos with the news release, set aside a web page just for the media to access photos.
- Send the news releases as the text of the email not as an attachment. Editors are leery of opening attachments.
- Have a snapping headline. Think like the National Enquirer’s shocking and bizarre headlines and you are heading in the right direction—just don’t go too far, BatBoy.
Need more help? You can hire us to manage your media relations or if you want to take a crack at it, then get our e-course Media Mayhem Managed.